Sunday, April 29, 2012

Reading Strategies Anchor Charts

April has officially become anchor chart month on my blog, because I just realized that is all I shared this month! I think they are worthy of their own month anyway! :)

There are ten reading strategies we focus on in second grade as a part of our Harcourt Trophies reading program. I have created anchor charts for most of these strategies, which I display in two different places in my classroom.

Most of the anchor charts are on our Reading Skills bulletin board. The flag letters were inspired by Lindsey’s math wall from The Teacher Wife.

Bulletin Board
Each week we focus on two of the reading strategies so those anchor charts are displayed at the front of the room, along with anchor charts we are currently focusing on in other subjects.

IMG_0435
Here is a close up of each anchor chart. The Creating Mental Images anchor chart and the Comparing and Contrasting anchor chart were both inspired by the truly inspiring Abby from The Inspired Apple!

IMG_0383 IMG_0381IMG_0384 IMG_0385 IMG_0386Picture1 IMG_0388 IMG_0393
I have noticed a huge difference in my students being able to name, define, and put these strategies into practice since putting up these anchor charts in the middle of the school year. My students switch classes for reading, so I do not get to teach reading to some of my homeroom students. Last week in science I asked them what they could infer from a picture in our textbook, and one of my students, who I don’t even have for reading class, instantly looked at the Making Inferences anchor chart. I was so proud of her!  

I do not have an artistic bone in my body so the pictures on the anchor charts were traced from images I have purchased from Scrappin Doodles.

Hopefully you will find something that inspires you! :)

Signature

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for visiting and following my blog! I love your anchor charts! They look so clean! I love the idea of using a visual association with those tricky terms! :)

    Casey
    Second Grade Math Maniac Blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...