Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Goodbye Popsicle Sticks, Hello Card-O-Matic

I read all the new blog posts in my Blogger Reading List and still needed a reason to procrastinate on doing the laundry, so I headed over to Teaching Channel to watch a few videos. :) I am glad I did because I came across a video featuring Tammy Ritter and her Card-O-Matic idea.


As you can see, Card-O-Matic is very similar to pulling popsicle sticks with students’ names written on them. The sticks work well, but in order for my students to stay engaged after their sticks are pulled, I put the sticks back in the cup. There were many times that the same students would be pulled over and over again, while some students never got their sticks pulled. Card-O-Matic solves that problem because it ensures that all students will participate, and since each student’s name is in the stack more than once, students will need to pay attention and be ready even after their cards come up the first time.

While boring white index cards get the job done, I thought I would make some 3 x 5 cards that would be a little more fun to look at throughout the day. Click on any of the images below to pick up your free cards. You may want to print them on cardstock or laminate them for durability.

COM 1  COM 2
COM 3  COM 4
I think that my time was much better spent on Teaching Channel than on laundry. I mean, increased student participation versus folding a load of laundry…I think we can all agree on what is more important! :)

What are ways you increase student participation in your classroom? I would love to read about your ideas!

Dani from Patterson’s Porch is giving away a $25 Target gift card and a $10 Teachers Pay Teachers gift certificate! Click on the image below for your chance to win!

giveawayaga1

Signature

12 comments:

  1. This is a great idea!! I went to a Kagan Cooperative Learning training this summer and it really inspired to me use some other method than the popsicle sticks. I plan to use a free website that provides a random student selector tool. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer for sharing my giveaway! I like the idea of Card-O-Matic! :)
    Dani
    Patterson's Porch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the freebie! I use the cards and love them!! For student participation, I just out of the blue will tell someone to go 5 minutes of ipad/ipod/computer time, get a drink, give me a high five because you were doing a great job of participating. Then everyone will participate and want a drink!! Plus it's free!!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an excellent idea!! I have been looking for something different than the usual popsicle stick idea. I love this! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the card-o-matic idea! And this way I won't have any popsicle sticks to drop or lose! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our school has been using equity sticks for years--it is mandated in our school district. Some teachers have necklaces with numbers on them instead of equity sticks. Each student has been assigned a number. You can buy round circles to write on that are encased in metal. It is just another great way to call on students.

    Shelly

    Smiling and Shining in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this idea especially the fact that everyone's name is in the deck more than once.
    I just nominated you for the Versatile blogger award. Head on over to my blog to pick up your award. Congrats!

    http://mylifeaslittlemiss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! So glad you checked it out instead of doing laundry. I didn't know about that site either... I'll have to check it out.
    ஐRikki
    The Hive

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these cards! And they are so cute too! I'm your newest follower!

    Amy
    Krazy About Kiddos

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cards are adorable! Thanks!!! If you get a chance, hop over to my blog and check out the giveaway I am having. http://funinsecondgrade.blogspot.com/
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use a similar system with a deck of cards featuring my favorite baseball team. I just make name labels and stick them to the cards. I have 24 students, so each student is in the deck twice, and the 4 remaining are "wild cards", and students know I can call on anybody I'd like if I pull one of those!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...